Tip of the Month
Tips To Cut Down On Fats
Kaiser Permanente recommends the following few tips to cut down on fats:
- Fill up on fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Think of meat as a side dish instead of the main part of your meal.
- Try main dishes that use whole wheat pasta, brown rice, dried beans, or vegetables.
- Use cooking methods with little or no fat, such as broiling, steaming, or grilling. Use cooking spray instead of oil. If you use oil, use monounsaturated oil, such as canola or olive oil.
- Trim fat from meats before you cook them. Drain off fat after you brown the meat or while you are roasting it.
- Chill soups and stews after you cook them so that you can skim off the fat after it gets hard.
- To get more omega-3 fatty acids, have fish twice a week. Add ground flaxseed to cereal, soups, and smoothies. Sprinkle walnuts on salads.
- When you bake muffins or breads, replace part of the fat ingredient (oil, butter, margarine) with applesauce, or use canola oil instead of butter or shortening.
- Read Nutrition Facts labels on canned, bottled, or packaged foods. Choose foods with little saturated fat and no trans fat.
Source: Kaiser Permanente