Promoting Healthy Eating Active Living
The Healthy Eating and Active Living Initiative (HEAL) is making a positive impact on county residents in targeted and neighboring communities. The HEAL Initiative is accomplishing this development through partnerships, consistent visibility and the provision of quality nutrition and physical fitness services and programs provided by community-based organizations. Through a competitive process, 11 community-based, including faith-based organizations, were selected to receive mini-grants (with a dollar value ranging from $30,000 to $50,000) to provide quality nutrition and/or physical fitness services to county residents. The strong commitments from community organizations will increase the accessibility, availability, and affordability of healthy foods in our targeted and neighboring areas. Services include food distribution, nutrition counseling, fitness programs, health screenings and nutrition training.
HEAL Community Partners/Grantees:
- Fort Washington Medical Center
- United Way National Capital Area
- Community Outreach and Development, CDC
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Washington
- Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, Inc.
- Engaged Community Offshoots, Inc. aka ECO City Farms
- Providence Health Foundation
- Access to Wholistic and Productive Living Institute, Inc.
- Community Builders LTD
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Centro De Apoyo Familiar (CAF)